Civil and Environmental Engineering 72-foot tilting flume. The flume is capable of recirculating water and up to 5mm sediment as a closed loop. It has an automated slope adjustment via electric jacks. The flume test section is 64 feet long, 2 feet wide, 3 feet deep. Current instrumentation includes:
- 33-foot streamwise linear actuator instrument carriage, with 2-foot vertically mounted actuator for instrument mounts
- Laser topographic profiler capable of full-width swathes at sub-mm precision
- Laser PIV/PTV with two solid state laser modules (532nm and 405nm) and cameras for time-resolved PIV
- Ultraviolet lighting for sediment particle tracking studies
- Nortek vectrino II profiling acoustic Doppler velocimeter
- Several Sontek Flowtracker single-point acoustic Doppler velocimeters
- 4 tons local clean river sand
In the coming year, I will be constructing a dual purpose teaching/research delta and river basin lab. This facility will include a 3 m x 4.5 m basin, sediment feeders and recirculation pumps, overhead cameras, and laser topographic instrumentation.
I will be constructing a 4.8 m long, 15 cm wide, 90 cm tall teaching/research flume capable of recirculating currents for bedform experiments, basin height adjustment for 1-D delta experiments, and turbidity current experiments. This flume's primary purpose will be for instructional purposes for Stratigraphy and Sedimentation, Basin Analysis, and Advanced Stratigraphy courses.
Sediment sampling and field equipment
I will be acquiring sediment sampling and other field equipment to add to the coastal hydrodynamics and sediment transport facilities at the Pontchartrain Institute for Environmental Sciences (for a full list of PIES equipment and facilities - http://new.uno.edu/pontchartrain-institute). Current equipment includes:
- Sequoia LISST-SL2 suspended sediment sampler, B-Reel.
- USGS FISP P-61 point integrated sediment sampler, B-Reels
- USGS FISP BLH-84 handheld bedload sampler with 3.5m wading rod
- 3x USGS FISP DH-48 handheld depth integrated sediment samplers with up to 3m wading rods
- USGS FISP DH-81 handheld depth integrated sediment sampler with up to 3m wading rods
- UMN Livingston piston corer
- 6 laboratory/field cameras (GoPro hero5 & session, Sony RX100, Sony RX100 V, Canon SX280HS)
- DJI Mavic Air drone, 3DR Iris+ drone